When you think of most martial arts schools you think of punching, kicking and fighting. You don’t normally think about selflessness, charity and community.
United Martial Arts Centers embodies compassion, goodwill and generosity, said Grand Master Edmund Ciarfella Jr., the president and CEO of UMAC.
“When my wife Teresa and I opened the doors to UMAC almost 20 years ago, Ciarfella wrote in his press release announcing the center’s efforts, “we made a decision to give back to the community we live in.”
So for the last 20 years, UMAC has done fund raisers for D.A.R.E. Child Help, M.D.A and the Warwick Food Pantry.
This holiday season, the UMAC has three goals: The center’s first goal is to do 1,000 acts of kindness between now and Jan. 1, 2015. Every time a student does something kind for another person , the center will put a red or green helping hand on the wall of the school.
Second, on Friday, Dec. 12, from 6 to 9 p.m., the school will hold a Ninja Game Night; admission is a donation to the Warwick Food Pantry.
Finally, UMAC is offering a special holiday gift: a “Belt in a Bag.” That includes two weeks of classes, a white belt and a drawstring equipment bag for a $5 donation.
This year many local businesses made additional contributions to the “Bag.” These include:
• Two weeks of classes at UMAC and a uniform
• UMAC birthday party ($300 value)
• Two weeks of dance classes at Hudson Valley Dance
• 10 percent off at Fetch Bar and Grill
• 10 percent off at Fizzy Lifting
• One free game of pool at Village Billiards
• Up to $100 discount on construction or handy man work
• 10 percent off at Jacqueline’s Boutique
• Up to $50 off at Style Counsel
• One hour of organization by Apple a Day
• 15 percent off at Giant Copy
• 10 percent off Corbett’s Cookies
This brings the value of the Belt in the Bag to more than $500 for a $5 donation to the Warwick Food Pantry.
The money will go toward buying a local family in need a holiday dinner and gifts.
For additional information, stop in at United Martial Arts Centers, located at 43 West St. in Warwick or contact the school by calling 845-987-1853, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or visiting online at www.umacenters.com or facebook fan page www.facebook.com/UMACfans
– See more at: Warwick Advertiser Online